Nurse Manager - ANZSCO 254311
Nurse Unit Manager
Group: 2543 Nurse Managers
manage health service units and sub-units of hospitals, aged care and community health care facilities, supervise nursing staff and financial resources to enable the provision of safe, cost effective nursing care within specified fields or for particular units, and monitor quality, clinical standards and professional development of nurses. Directors of Nursing are excluded from this unit group. Directors of Nursing are included in Unit Group 1342 Health and Welfare Services Managers.It includes Health Promotion Officers and Orthotists or Prosthetists.
1. developing, implementing and monitoring policies and objectives of nursing care as they apply to units, staff and community groups
2. coordinating the allocation of human and material resources for a health service unit such as recruitment of staff, human resource management, preparation of budgets and fiscal management
3. monitoring and controlling the performance of nursing and support staff within the unit, and providing leadership
4. initiating studies to evaluate the effectiveness of nursing services in the unit in relation to objectives, costs and nursing care
5. promoting working relationships with community agencies and health and education providers
6. contributing to organisational objectives in relation to quality, safety and risk management
Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification, two years hospital-based training, and at least five years specialist study and training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing is required.