General Medical Practitioner - ANZSCO 253111
Medical Officer (Navy)
Group: 2531 Generalist Medical Practitioners
diagnose and treat physical and mental illnesses, disorders and injuries, recommend preventative action and refer patients to specialist Medical Practitioners, other health care workers, and social, welfare and support workers.
1. conducting examinations and questioning patients to determine the nature of disorders and illnesses, and recording patients' medical information
2. ordering laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic procedures, and interpreting findings to assist in diagnosis
3. providing overall care for patients, and prescribing and administering treatments, medications and other remedial measures
4. monitoring patients' progress and response to treatment
5. advising on diet, exercise and other habits which aid prevention and treatment of disease and disorders
6. referring patients to, and exchanging medical information with, specialist Medical Practitioners
7. reporting births, deaths and notifiable diseases to government authorities
8. arranging the admission of patients to hospitals
Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification and at least one year of hospital-based training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing is required.