Dental Specialist - ANZSCO 252311
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
Group: 2523 Dental Practitioners
diagnose and treat dental disease, restore normal oral function using a broad range of treatments, such as surgery and other specialist techniques, and advise on oral health.It includes Health Promotion Officers and Orthotists or Prosthetists.
1. diagnosing dental diseases using a range of methods such as radiographs, salivary tests and medical histories
2. providing preventative oral health care such as periodontal treatments, fluoride applications and oral health promotion
3. providing restorative oral care such as implants, complex crown and bridge restorations, and orthodontics, and repairing damaged and decayed teeth
4. providing oral surgical treatments such as biopsy of tissue and prescription of medication
5. performing routine orthodontic treatment
6. restoring oral function with removable and fixed oral prostheses
7. assisting in diagnosing general diseases having oral manifestations such as diabetes
8. educating patients to take care of their mouth and teeth
9. leading a dental team which may comprise Dental Hygienists, Dental Therapists, Dental Assistants and other Dental Specialists
Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing is required.