Osteopath - ANZSCO 252112
Group: 2521 Chiropractors and Osteopaths
diagnose and treat physiological and mechanical disorders of the locomotor system and tissue strain, stress and dysfunction that impede normal neural, vascular and biochemical mechanisms, and provide advice on preventing these disorders.It includes Health Promotion Officers and Orthotists or Prosthetists.
1. administering a variety of neurological, musculoskeletal and functional tests to identify and assess physical problems and ailments of patients
2. planning and discussing effective management of patients' dysfunction
3. designing, reviewing, monitoring, assessing and evaluating treatment programs
4. assisting and improving the function of all body systems such as musculoskeletal, neurological, cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal, endocrine and genitourinary systems
5. recording detailed patient medical histories, treatments delivered and the patients' responses and progress to treatments
6. referring patients to specialists and liaising with other Health Professionals in relation to patients' problems, needs and progress
7. educating patients, their partners, family and friends in therapeutic procedures, such as home exercises and lifestyle changes, to enhance patients' health and wellbeing
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1). Registration or licensing may be required.